Friday 20 January 2012

Day 2: Surgery

The day finally arrived. Had my breakfast at 6.45am, blood test later that day and just lazed around chatting with the nurses and my dad came at around 12. I was abit nervous of course but the doctor and my dad told me just relax and take it easy.

The idea of changing into a surgical gown is fine but the idea of not to wear your underwear sounds freaky. The nurse said it's not as if they don't know what I have underneath LOL!!! At 2.30pm, I was wheeled to the OR where my dad couldn't come with me. Took a deep breath and said bye to him. Went through a series of questions between the anaesthetist, OR staff and myself and finally agreed to settle with spinal anaesthesia with sedation instead of GA to reduce complications. The anaesthetist was good and the needles went in my arm and back with little pain which is normal. Then he injected the sedative into my IV and just told me I'll be asleep in 2 minutes. One minute I see him putting the ECG pads on my chest and the surgical cap on my head, the next thing I know, I am awake and they said it's done. Funny part was, I don't remember the oxygen mask being placed on my face (probably I was too dopey).

I was wheeled back to the ward and since it was spinal, they told me not to get up too fast and the medicine will last for 6 hours. My uncle and cousins came with my aunt, dad and grandmother along with George. Odd as it sounds, my dad fed me my dinner since I was groggy and couldn't sit up due to the spinal which hadn't worn off yet. Went to sleep well though I did wake up at 3am as I felt a sharp pain. Another jab and I was back asleep.

No comments: